ONE OF BRITAIN’S MOST FAMOUS
MOSAICS ON VIEW DURING HERITAGE OPEN
St Aidan’s Church in Harehills,
Leeds, will open its doors over the weekend of the 10th and
11th of September to show off its famous mosaic by Royal Academician
Sir Frank Brangwyn. The church will be open for most of Saturday and after the
Sunday morning service. There will be conducted tours throughout Saturday and at
11.30 on Sunday. This is the twelfth time St Aidan’s has taken part in the
Heritage Open Days promoted by Leeds Civic Trust in association with Leeds City
Council and organised nationally by English Heritage.
The mosaic which fills the eastern apse of this 117 year-old Romanesque church was created by Frank
Brangwyn between 1912 and 1916. It shows four stages in the life of St Aidan in
one continuous picture. And there is much more to see in St Aidan’s with
furniture by Robert (the mouseman) Thompson and parishioner John Drake, carvings
and paintings by Josef Heu, some impressive stained glass and several works by
the church’s first architects A Crawford-Hick and Sidney Kitson. The organ built
by J J Binns of Bramley is one of the finest of its style. There will be organ
recitals on Saturday by Peter Brand St Aidan’s director of music.
The Church will be open on Saturday from 10.30 am to 4.30 pm and on Sunday after the 10 am Parish Mass until 1 pm.
Members of the congregation will be available and happy to conduct visitors around the church.
Admission is free and refreshments will be available.
More from Barrie Pepper on 0113 265 8595 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org